Caloundra Transport Corridor Upgrade ISCA Support
Client: Sunshine Coast Council (SCC)
Location: Caloundra, Sunshine Coast
Business Services Provided: Provision of Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia (ISCA) project rating for SCC.
The Cowie Environmental Services (Cowie) team utilised their internal ISCA-certified sustainability specialists to provide sustainability support for SCC’s Caloundra Transport Corridor Upgrade Project (CTCU). Part of the delivery of this sustainability support involved issuing the CTCU project with an ISCA project rating. Sustainability support provided by Cowie for this project was broken down into the following distinct phases.
Phase 1 – Preliminary Review and Sustainability Workshop
- Issuing of an ISCA scorecard
- Creation of a Sustainability Scoping Report outlining the target rating for the project and a weightings assessment submitted to ISCA for review
- Identified key credits to optimise overall project ISCA rating.
Phase 2a – Design Sustainability Support
- Provided guidance on tender documentation and designs to optimise target project ISCA rating.
Phase 2b – Sustainability Manager for Project and Project ISCA Assessor
- Compiled and completed requirements of ISCA rating tool, including monthly meetings with the ISCA Project Manager.
Phase 3 – Enduring Project Sustainability Assets
- In consultation with SCC, Cowie created enduring assets from this project to improve ongoing sustainability within SCC works including:
- Sustainability Management Plan
- Enhanced Sustainable Procurement Policy
- Sustainability Assessment Tool for Smaller Projects
- Internal ISCA-equivalent guide for Smaller Project.
This project was earmarked as a pilot project to apply the ISCA rating framework across SCC’s projects from design to construction in conjunction with Council’s Environment and Liveability Strategy 2017 and the Sustainable Transport Strategy. As part of the ISCA project support provided, Cowie provided legacy documentation that can be utilised in future SCC projects.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The responsibilities as Sustainability Lead for the project included facilitating the sustainability workshop and preliminary review and creating the Sustainability Scoping Report. This role provided sustainability support and guidance on tender documentation and designs to optimise overall ISCA rating. Cowie provided services as the Project Sustainability Manager and created enduring project sustainability assets in the form of legacy documentation.
In his role as Sustainability Support, Cowie provided assistance in the preliminary review, sustainability workshop and the Sustainability Scoping Report. In addition, this role conducted the review/assessment of the design tender submissions from a sustainability perspective.
- Cowie were able to utilise their ISCA-certified specialists to deliver a great outcome for the client.
- Earmarked as a pilot project for SCC, positive outcomes from the delivery of this project and legacy documentation provided by Cowie to SCC will ensure the team leave a lasting impression on future ISCA activities within Council.